Re-Evaluation

Am I allowed to think?!

What the purpose of my life?

Sunday 1 June 2014

Unequal Yoke Part III.

"We closed Paul, we closed the discussion about getting married. Let’s go back to the unequal yoke, if you’re willing to come with me. This is in 2 Corinthians 6. To be honest all the 2 Corinthians is about how Paul caused some confusions and problems in Corinthia because of his first letter, and after that he tries to solve the misunderstanding. Obviously lot of people was converted, lot of things had changed, but unresolved, hurtful things are stayed, and he tries to solve them. So he’s putting into the right contest every misunderstanding which he caused in the letters of 1 Corinthians. Starting from the first chapter of 2 Corinthians till the ending, he speaks about the believer’s rights in this world and their place within the spiritual- and this world.

In the first chapter he immediately starts with referring back to the previous chapters. „When therefore I was thus minded, did I decide lightly? Or the things which I purpose, do I purpose according to the flesh, that with me there should be “yea, yea” and “nay, nay”? But as God is true, our word toward you was not “yea” and “nay.” For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us, even by me and Silvanus and Timothy, was not “yea” and “nay,” but in Him was “yea.” For all the promises of God in Him are “yea”; and in Him “amen” unto the glory of God by us. (2 Cor 1:17-20) This is also similar to the unequal yoke. I will tell some examples for „yes yes” - „no no”, in case someone doesn't know the meaning of it! The Urim and Thummim casting lots worked like that, it was two cards, stones or something which had got a „Yes” and „No” side on it. For instance when Saul is asking God in different ways, he is not responding with prophecy, neither with dream vision, nor by Urim and Thummim. It could only happen if one of the stone says „Yes” and the others says „No”. Paul says that „we are not like that, therefore we are yes-yes.”

Consequently we are representing the whole. Essentially he says to the Corinthians that „Sorry guys for being so harsh with you before, but I haven’t got an other option, but to speak straight forward, sincerely and to represent God’s message in 100 per cent. So my speech was a clear yes, namely ’yes-yes’ and I wasn't unsure, namely ’yes-no’ ”. He is continuing this reasoning in the 5th chapter when he’s saying; „And He died for all, so that all those who live might live no longer to and for themselves, but to and for Him Who died and was raised again for their sake. Consequently, from now on we estimate and regard no one from a human point of view. Even though we once did estimate Christ from a human viewpoint and as a man, yet now we know Him no longer [in terms of the flesh]. Therefore if any person is [ingrafted] in Christ (the Messiah) he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old [previous moral and spiritual condition] has passed away. Behold, the fresh and new has come!”(2Cor 5:15-17)

So in the 6th chapter comes the practical conclusion from all of this. He says that „We then, working together with God,” co-workers „make our request to you not to take the grace of God to no purpose.” So it has to be possible, if Paul wrote it down, that the man „take upon the yoke, but it didn't work out for some reason. This is the situation, which I mentioned at the beginning, „that this and that’s the problem, one thing or another are not working, I don’t know what to do now, Help me”. My ’favorite’ question is; ’Shall I stay with him/her or shall I divorce?’. Of course, I will 'definitely' tell you the right answer! Ouch!! Well, if I tell to him/her, then what? Otherwise I don’t like to tell people what to do. I try not to let myself into the position where I have to tell them what is the right thing to do. When it occurs I usually tell them that, ’alright, I will help, but Will I be the one who has to live together with him/her, or you?’. It’s better, if you don’t answer to these kind of questions at all.

Old Paul says, „to no purpose”, don’t let it happen, to take the grace of God with no intention. Now, he set out a couple of things in verse 3; „Giving no cause for trouble in anything, so that no one may be able to say anything against our work; But in everything making it clear that we are the servants of God, in quiet strength”. In an inner „quiet strength”. It is again the same, which I mentioned before, that I am IN the yoke and THAT gives me an inner, insistent, stable peace. And yes, it could be irritating, but to have this yoke is WORTH, no matter what. Therefore to move out from the yoke is foolishness.

Then he continues, after the specification of all sorts of difficulties which can happen in a Christian’s life, with the 11th verse saying; „Our mouth is open to you, O Corinthians, our heart is wide. It is not our feelings to you which are narrow, but yours to us.” That’s what he says to the Corinthians; „O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged. Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels”. In simple words the problem is not in our/my, but in your ’device’. He says; „Now to give me back payment of the same sort (I am talking as to my children), let your hearts be wide open to me.” Well, after a trust ’trial’ and ’half –confidence’ losing, he’s trying to regain their trust."

No comments:

Post a Comment